четверг, 15 марта 2012 г.

Clashes leave at least 20 dead in NW Pakistan

Clashes between security forces and militants left at least 20 people dead in a region of northwest Pakistan that the army claimed to have cleared of insurgents earlier this year, government officials said Friday.

The violence in the Bajur region underscores the difficulties Islamabad faces as it seeks to root out insurgents from the tribal belt along the Afghan border where al-Qaida and Taliban militants have long enjoyed a safe haven.

The deadliest fighting took place in the village of Chinnar in the Charmang Valley, where Taliban militants ambushed an army convoy Friday afternoon, said Jamil Khan, a local government official. Four insurgents and two soldiers were killed in …

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий